International students studying in Australia are mandated to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of their study in Australia. However, there are additional types of insurance that may prove beneficial to you.

Overseas Student Health Cover

International students and their dependents in Australia must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of their studies. OSHC includes coverage for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatments, ambulance services, and limited pharmaceuticals. There are various OSHC products offered by insurers, ranging from basic coverage to comprehensive plans that offer additional services beyond the mandatory minimums. You can find more information about OSHC on our website.

The Department of Home Affairs mandates that international students must maintain OSHC for the duration of their stay in Australia. For more information, please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website.

You can also download the resources provided below.

Private health insurance

In addition to your OSHC, it is worth considering purchasing private health insurance to cover any items that are not included in your OSHC coverage. You have the option of getting private health insurance for yourself or your family. It is important to note that the benefits, membership costs and eligibility requirements can differ significantly between funds and insurance policies, so it is crucial to carefully select the appropriate cover to meet your needs.

To learn more about private health insurance, visit

Travel insurance

Although Australia’s travel industry is generally reliable, unexpected problems such as cancelled flights or lost luggage can occur. If you are traveling with valuable items or have a tight travel schedule to adhere to, having travel insurance can provide coverage for any unforeseen incidents or missed flights. Travel insurance can be obtained from various providers, including travel insurance companies, airlines, and travel booking companies. It’s important to compare benefits, costs, and eligibility requirements before purchasing a policy.

Home and contents insurance

Building insurance is the responsibility of the owner if you rent a property, but it is important to consider contents insurance to cover your belongings such as furniture, clothes, and appliances. Home and contents insurance can cover the building you live in and the items you own. If you have valuable possessions that would be difficult to replace, it is worth considering contents insurance.

Car insurance

Depending on where you live in Australia, you may be required to purchase compulsory insurance when you buy a car, motorbike or other vehicle. For instance, in NSW, you must buy Compulsory Third Party insurance, which covers you for personal injuries inflicted on others in an accident. You should contact the relevant government agency in your state or territory to determine what, if any, compulsory insurance you are required to have.

Additionally, you may choose to buy vehicle insurance to cover your car for accidental damage, theft, fire, flood, or storm. A plethora of insurance providers in Australia offer vehicle insurance, so it is essential to research your options and consider your specific insurance needs before purchasing any policy.

Study, live, and make Australia your new home. We are here to help!

Terms & Conditions

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up to get all the latest student stories, blog posts and updates on student visas and travel to Australia straight to your inbox.