Student Support

Throughout our community, we have always prioritized supporting each other in times of need. This includes ensuring the health, safety, and overall well-being of our international students.

Overall wellbeing

Reaching out

If you are an international student and facing challenges, seeking help and support is encouraged and will not impact your enrolment or visa status. There are a range of tailored services and resources available, some of which are offered in different languages.

One of the most trusted mental health support services in Australia is Beyond Blue, where you can speak with a counsellor online or over the phone. Lifeline offers similar support services, including a free interpreting service for non-English speakers. To access Lifeline’s service, call TIS on 131 450 and ask for Lifeline on 13 11 14 in your required language, and TIS will call on your behalf.

If you or someone you know has been affected by suicide, you can contact Suicide Call Back Service, which offers 24/7 phone and online counselling. Headspace provides support for work and study, and offers an “about” page translated into 21 languages. Embrace Multicultural Mental Health has multilingual information about mental health, while Head to Health offers support to culturally and linguistically diverse individuals.

Visiting a Doctor/GP

Your doctor can provide assistance not only for your physical health concerns but also for any mental health issues you may have. They can collaborate with you to develop a personalized mental health plan, which may involve medication or not.

Healthy eating and exercise

During stressful times, it’s crucial to keep yourself healthy and grounded, and exercise and nutrition are essential in achieving this goal.

Student support services

Australia provides a wide range of support services for international students, including services offered by educational institutions, student associations, and local, state, territory, and federal governments.

Education providers

Australian education providers take pride in creating a welcoming, friendly, and supportive study experience for international students. They offer a range of specialist services to assist students in adjusting to life and study in Australia. These services can include:

  • Language and academic support
  • Dedicated international student advisers
  • Arrival reception and orientation programs
  • Childcare assistance
  • Mental health, wellbeing, and counseling services
  • Student accommodation options
  • Employment services
  • Prayer and worship rooms
  • Shopping, banking, and food outlets
  • Clubs, societies, and sports facilities
  • Having access to support when needed and building friendships can make a significant difference to a student’s experience.

Many education providers in Australia foster their own communities, where students can participate in clubs, sports teams, social events, and community service programs.

To learn more about the activities and support services available, check the website of your education provider.

State and Territory resources

Visit each State and Territory dedicated student websites for local information and support. 


Student associations

Student associations across Australia are dedicated to representing and supporting the needs and interests of students. These include national associations such as the Council of International Students Australia (CISA) which represents international students studying in undergraduate, postgraduate, private colleges, TAFE, English language intensive courses for overseas students (ELICOS) and foundation courses, as well as the Australian Federation of International Students (AFIS) which helps students maximize their experience studying and living in Australia.

In addition to these national associations, most education providers in Australia have their own student associations that offer various support services and activities. Check your education provider’s website for more information on their student association.

Disability support

Australia has strict laws in place to prevent discrimination against individuals in various public domains. These laws ensure that a person with a disability has an equal right to education as an able-bodied student. Accordingly, education providers cannot:

  • Refuse to admit a student with a disability
  • Impose requirements on a student with a disability that do not apply to able-bodied students, such as higher fees
  • Limit or deny access to facilities or activities for a student with a disability.

Many education providers in Australia offer specialized services to assist students with disabilities or chronic medical conditions in their studies, such as note-taking services, voice-recognition software, or hearing aids. If you require such services, it is recommended that you contact your education provider several weeks before you arrive to make necessary arrangements.

While education providers must make reasonable efforts to accommodate students with disabilities, they are not legally required to make modifications if the changes involve significant difficulties or unreasonable costs. The education provider must provide proof that such changes are unjustified. However, they must first have direct discussions with the student and seek expert advice before making such a claim.

If you are experiencing issues with your education provider, you should first discuss them with the staff. If informal discussions do not resolve the issue, you can file a formal complaint. Education providers are required to have a process for handling complaints. If you believe your legitimate complaint is not being recognized by your education provider, you may contact the Australian Human Rights Commission. However, you must file a formal complaint in writing before the commission can take any action.

Legal rights and protections

Australian law provides protection to international students studying in the country. All higher education providers must be registered and meet the requirements to offer accredited courses and programs. They are also subject to regular quality assurance audits.

In order to maintain consistent standards, the Australian Government accredits every course offered to international students through the CRICOS register.

Overseas Students Ombudsman

The Overseas Students Ombudsman is responsible for handling complaints related to private education and training institutions in Australia. The Ombudsman provides free, independent, and impartial services to students.

If you are studying at a public university, school, or TAFE, you should contact the Ombudsman in your state or territory to file a complaint. You can find information about the types of issues that the Ombudsman can investigate on their website. Please refer to the website of the relevant Ombudsman for your state or territory.


Consumer protection

Australia has established consumer protection laws to safeguard the rights of both domestic and international consumers, including international students. These laws are known as the Australian Consumer Law, which guarantees your rights as a consumer when buying goods and services.

If you want to learn more about your consumer rights, encounter issues with a product or service you have purchased, or need to know how a business should comply with the law, you can contact the appropriate government trade and consumer agency in your state or territory. In case you want to make a complaint against a business, you can also reach out to these agencies. You can visit to find the relevant government agency in your location.

Tuition Protection Service

The Australian Government established the Tuition Protection Service (TPS) to provide support if your education provider is unable to deliver your course as agreed. The TPS may also be able to assist if you are eligible for a refund of your tuition fees but have not received it because you did not start or have stopped your course.

You have two options under the TPS:

  1. Complete your studies in another course or at another institution.
  2. Receive a refund of the unspent portion of your tuition fees.

For more information on the TPS, please visit their website at

Study, live, and make Australia your new home. We are here to help!

Terms & Conditions

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up to get all the latest student stories, blog posts and updates on student visas and travel to Australia straight to your inbox.